Positive thinking is the stairway to healthy and happy life. Here are 5 top tips how to deal with negative thoughts.
1. First, be aware of the fact that it’s normal to have negative thoughts about yourself—and you probably always will. What matters is how you deal with the thoughts. If you concentrate on them and listen to them, they will affect you negatively and sabotage your efforts, but if you can admit their presence calmly—”here’s anxiety”… “there’s the thought that I’m ugly”—then you’ll be more able to stay in control, and shift focus.
2. When a thought comes into your mind, ask yourself if that thought is useful or allowing you to have an exciting, meaningful life (you should have a good mental picture as to what this life could look like). If not, continue with all the things you would do if you had a better body image right now.
3. Think about how you would talk to your best friend. You’d probably try to be encouraging, motivating, helpful, and inspirational. Try talking to yourself the same way.
4. Get used to immediate self-care, and doing whatever it is that you may be putting off until that later date when you hope you will be prettier, thinner, or happier. Start taking that fun dance class, paint those nails, purchase that dress you always wanted, get used to taking salads to work, have a new haircut, have a relaxing bath every night… Develop a sense of self-compassion and acceptance—because you are worth all the effort right now and deserve the best.
5. Stay mindful of your values. How do you want that people remember you? What do you want to stand for in life? You’ll find that these things will start overshadowing your desire for better looks. Aesthetic goals come the last, so discover your core values—such as kindness or humility—and try to embody them.