Are you a race junkie? Do you recognize the symptoms? Being addicted to racing brings no good. Here are some useful tips how to avoid the risks of over-racing.
- Set yourself some goals. Having determined goals will help you to concentrate on fewer events. Plan six months ahead and stick to one hard ‘race’ a month.
- Make a training schedule or get a personal trainer. Knowing you are training well will make you feel better about missing races.
- Slow down your long running sessions and make your easy runs easier – following a polarised training plan like this will help you to fight off fatigue.
- Skip races by volunteering to help or marshal. You will still feel involved and see your friends, but you won’t actually run.
- Run with a friend or sometimes be a pacer for a slower group. If you give yourself a reason to make a race into a training run, this can help you stop pushing too hard.