Everybody knows one race junkie. They always race at a similar level but never seem to get any better or look pleased with their performance. How do you recognize that you’ve become a race junkie?
Signs and symptoms:
- You race every week, twice or more if you find any midweek events.
- You are often late or miss family or social events and go racing instead.
- You feel like you train hard but you don’t get any faster.
- You are usually not satisfied with your performances or feel you haven’t pushed yourself hard enough.
- You have muscle pain or niggling injuries but compete anyway.
- You are irritable, moody, or have sleeping problems.
- You feel anxious, guilty, or left out if you miss a run.
- You heart rate is higher than normal.
- You feel the next race may be “the one” where it all comes together.