It’s important to get into shape before pregnant because this enables you to continue training at the same level throughout your pregnancy. Learn the main benefits of exercise during pregnancy.
Working out throughout your pregnancy:
- Increases the size of the placenta and in this way improves the transportation of vital oxygen-rich blood and nutrients to your baby.
- Increases the body’s ability to use fat as an energy source at rest and while working out.
- Reduces insulin resistance and the risk of gestational diabetes.
- Makes it easier for you to return to your pre-pregnancy weight and fitness levels quicker.
- Elevates energy levels and self-image throughout pregnancy and therefore reduces risks of post-partum depression.
- Improves circulation and therefore less swelling will be experienced, as well as reduces levels of water retention through sweating.
- Helps maintain or create good posture, preventing lower back pain.
- Weight gain during pregnancy will be more controlled, because less fat will be deposited.
- Prepares you for labour if you are planning for natural delivery and decreases recovery time postpartum from either natural or caesarean deliveries.