The old formula of 220-age = max heart rate has been discovered to be quite inaccurate, particularly for trained runners.
Unless you know your exact max heart rate, you can try the following:
- Calculate max heart rate (MHR):
- Women 209 – (0.9 x age) = MHR
- Men 214 – (0.8 x age) = MHR
- Measure resting heart rate (RHR): Lie in bed before getting up or drinking coffee, relax for 10 mins and then count your pulse for a minute.
- Determine your training heart-rate zones:
- MHR – RHR = Working heart rate (WHR)
- Calculate 70% and 85% of your WHR – then add RHR back on. That gives you your training zones for 70% and 85%.
Aim to run about 70% for all your easy pace runs and long runs. Running at 85% is considered harder tempo pace.