Let’s be honest, babies (and children in general) play havoc with training schedules, and unless you’ve managed to find a 25th hour in the day, the majority of new parents struggle to find time for one run – let alone your cross-training session two or three times a week. But considering you’re going to spend countless hours pushing a pram around the local parks, why not increasing pace and squeezing in a run? To run properly you’ll need a stroller designed for exercise. Here are some useful tips that will help you choose the right jogging stroller and make the most of your workout.
- An adjustable-height handle is essential if both mother and father plan on using the stroller. If the handle is too high, your arm swing will be uncomfortable, if it’s too low, your back will suffer.
- Large 16” inflatable tyres help to smooth out bumps and prevent your baby from being bounced around. In addition, they help maintain momentum once you’re up and running.
- A fixed front wheel provides extra stability and makes running much easier, but will hinder manoeuvrability.
- Security is crucial so look for a five-point safety harness, bike-style brake and wrist strap, so you have absolute control even when running downhill.
- A storage compartment is vital for carrying extra layers, snacks and drinks for you and your child. This will also prevent you from hanging items from the handle.
- A removable hood will protect your baby from the elements – rain or shine – and keep them cosy (and therefore quieter!) for longer.