Nowadays, we hear a lot about super foods. But what about super drinks? Coconut water is one of them.
Let’s have a look at the most important facts about coconuts and coconut water:
- It takes a coconut about one year to ripen on the tree.
- Coconut water is drawn from the unripened drupes when they are 6-7 months old, which is when the water is at its greatest volume, most appetizing and nutrient-dense.
- Coconut water is a natural isotonic drink.
- Coconut water is nearly fat-free, with less than 2.2g of natural sugar per 100ml.
- Coconut water contains a mix of essential electrolytes so similar to human blood plasma, that it was used in transfusions in the past as an intravenous fluid alternative.
- The pure liquid from young, green coconuts offers trace elements such as selenium and manganese, as well as vitamins C and B.
- Coconut water contains plenty of enzymes, amino acids, and plant growth hormones known as cytokinins, which are said to have anti-ageing properties.
- Coconut water works soothing on the entire digestive system and is used as an antidote for nausea, heartburn, acid reflux, diarrhoea and constipation.