Preparation time: cca. 25 minutes (plus baking and cooling time)
Per portion: cca. 114 kcal / 479 kJ
2 g P, 1 g F, 21 g CH
Makes cca. 16 pieces
- 850 g unsweetened apricots, canned
- 3 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 100 g sugar
- 1 tsp grated rind of 1 unwaxed lime
- 150 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- icing sugar to sprinkle
- Drain the apricots. Separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, then chill. Whisk together the egg yolks, 6 tablespoons of lukewarm water and the sugar until fluffy. Stir together the egg whites, lime rind and egg cream.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C (Gas Mark 4). Combine the wholemeal spelt flour and baking powder, and stir together with the egg mixture to make a smooth dough. Place into a lined spring tin (26 cm diameter).
- Put the apricot halves in the mix cut side up, then bake in the oven for cca. 25 minutes. Leave the baked apricot cake to cool, then sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.