- 11⁄2 lbs jumbo raw shrimp
- 1 cup seafood stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp hot red pepper sauce
- Peel and devein shrimp. Combine shells and stock in skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for 10 minutes, or until reduced by half. Strain stock through a sieve set over a bowl.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add oil. Add onion, celery, garlic, and peppers and cook for 3 minutes. Add parsley, oregano, and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, stir in flour, and cook for 1 1⁄2 minutes.
- Add stock, bay leaf, wine, tomatoes, and tomato sauce and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 5 minutes. Add shrimp, cover, and cook over medium heat for 2-4 minutes.
- Move shrimp to a bowl. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until reduced by a third. Remove bay leaf. Season sauce with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Reheat shrimp in reduced sauce and serve.