Sweet Potato-Topped Chicken and Leek Pie (Pre-Race Recipe)
You can substitute the sweet potatoes and carrot with butternut and parsnip, or any combination of root vegetables – they all taste good with the creamy leek and chicken filling.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
- 600g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 300g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks
- 300g chicken breast
- 1.5tbsp flour
- 2tsp wholegrain mustard
- 500ml chicken stock
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C ( 400° F)/ gas mark six.
- Boil the sweet potatoes and carrots in a pan of water for 12-15 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the leeks and chicken for 10 minutes, until browned. Mix in the flour and cook for a minute, then stir in the mustard and stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes and then spoon into an oven-proof dish.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots and lightly mash. Season well, spoon over the chicken mixture and sprinkle with grated cheddar.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve with a green salad.